Or laughing AT me. Either way, I'm okay with it. :)
A while ago (the beginning of May) my Friend Tiffany told me about an Apron Swap she was doing. I make an apron, and send it to someone who signed up for the swap, and then someone sends an apron to me. I thought it sounded so fun. And I thought it would be a good chance to stretch my very limited sewing skills and try something new. I told my Mike about my great new find. His response? "why???"
"Why what" I said.
Mike: "Why are you making an apron to send to someone else? If you want an apron, why don't you just make one, and then keep it."
I figured this was just my overly logical husband COMPLETELY not understanding how fun this would be. So, I called my mom to tell her about it. Her response?
"Why?" "Why would you make and apron and send it to someone else. Why don't you just make an apron, and then keep it?"
Okay, Okay.....Maybe I'm the only one who looks forward to getting surprises in the mail. That's REALLY the reason I thought this would be so fun. So, I signed up.
I did have my hesitations. Let's just say...I've never been a very "lucky" person. I just knew it would be my luck to end up with a swapping partner who never sends an apron. So, I decided I would just buy double the fabric. Then I could make one for someone else AND for me. I'm such a little smarty! :)
The theme was "Summer". So I picked out some fun, flowery Amy Butler fabric, bought a pattern (because I wanted to learn how to use one) and went to work. My mom helped me do the first one while I was in St. George. It was my "practice", and I gave it to Rachel while we were there. It was cute. And I was proud. But I wasn't fond of the pattern, so I went at the next one on my own.
I've been working on it for a few days, and was ALMOST finished. All I had to do was attach the front pocket to the apron. And PRESTO! It would be complete. So, I pinned the apron in place and started sewing. This is what it looked like before the sewing began.
So I was just sewing right along and thinking....Wow. This pocket is a little harder to sew than I imagined. For some reason, it just seems "thicker" somehow. Wierd. And I just kept sewing. At LAST, I finished my last stitch on the pocket, snipped the threads, and pulled out my apron to admire my handiwork.
There was only one problem. The apron didn't look quite like I had imagined. This is what the front looked like.
If you can't tell, while I was sewing the pocket on, the whole top of the apron had been tucked under, and was now sewn to the back side of the pocket. So basically the apron was folded and sewn in half. And to make matters worse, I had DOUBLE top-stitched the pocket on. That means TWO ROWS of stitches were holding my apron in half.
go ahead. Laugh. I understand.
So, after puffing out my cheeks to hold in the curse words, I went to work unpicking, and unpicking, and unpicking.
and let me just interject here that I have to do all my sewing during Miles' nap-time. That makes the time available to me to do crafty things very limited. Hence the mental curse words.
So I unpicked my stitches, re-sewed the pocket, and worked with the fabric to get all the little "holes" left by my stitches to go away. And I ended up with this pretty little thing.
It gets dropped in the mail tomorrow. A whopping 5 days before the deadline. And I am proud of myself for not procrastinating completing it until the very last minute.
And incase you are wondering, I still haven't received MY apron in the mail yet. (The deadline to send is june 9th, so there's still time.) But no worries. I have the apron I will make for myself already cut out.
I've been sewing almost every day since I've been home from St. George. Thanks to my Mother-In-Law for letting me use a SWEET vintage Singer 401a sewing machine. It was the machine she learned on, and I L-O-V-E it.
Awhile ago I mentioned something about an Etsy shop. And I have been working my fingers off trying to get things ready. It's only taken me about 3 months longer than I thought. :) And there's still a little more. The problem is that as soon as I make something, someone I know wants to buy it, or I have a shower to go to and I take it, before I get it photographed and uploaded. But I finally DID photograph a few things. So, here's another (not so sneaky) peek.
Diaper and Wipes holder made from the "Dick and Jane" series fabric by Michael Miller. LOVE this, and I'll have lots of combinations of the fabric available.
And there's so much more! But I just couldn't help but show these off a little. They aren't in the shop yet. I'm still working on writing all the descriptions, pricing and uploading. But SOON. Very Soon. I have more styles of Bibs, big blankies, burpcloths, rag quilts, and nursing covers too, in a variety of fabrics for stylish moms and babies. So Stay Tuned!!! I can't wait to finally, finally, finally be making a little progress. Mike doesn't have class tomorrow. So, I'm hoping to get a little extra help on the baby wrangling front to take more pictures and get things uploaded. So, if you have a shower or something you will be going to in the next few months, keep me in mind! And ofcourse, my wonderful friends and family will be getting a very nice discount! :)