Monday, January 23, 2012

Menu Monday: Jan 23-29

Lots of yummy things going on in the kitchen this week! 

01 Jan 23-29


healthy-turkey-chili-cropped-399x300
Greek Pastitsio Casserole
Pastitsio-Plate-BLOG-450x298
Heart-Oven-Pancakes-sq1
Cafe Rio copycat Sweet Pork Salad/Burrito
Cafe rio Salad
 
The Broccoli & Grape pasta salad was something I saw floating around on pinterest, and thought it looked delicious!  I know, it is probably more of a “summer” food, but I just couldn’t resist trying it out.
I know what you are thinking about the chili… “One more thing you are serving in bread bowls??”   And its true.  I think I have served something in a bread bowl every week this past month.  But they are DELICIOUS, and I just can’t help myself.  And I’ll be honest about the chili.  It’s not terrific.  It’s STUPENDOUS!  MOUTH WATERING! AMAZING!!  (Seriously).  It has the perfect amount of spice and even some surprising vegetables thrown in there.  I know, zucchini in a chili is a little unorthodox…but don’t let that sway you.  It really is fabulous!
I’m going out on a limb here with the Greek Pastitsio.  I normally shy away from anything with the word “Greek” in the title.  But Mel’s Kitchen Cafe has never disappointed me before, and the picture looks awesome, so I’m giving it a whirl.
And those puffy pancakes…how adorable are they??  I’m trying them out now, and if they are great, I’ll make them for a valentine’s breakfast.  Have I ever mentioned I love breakfast for dinner?  Well I do.
And my elusive Cafe Rio recipe.  I still haven’t typed it up.  But I found this one HERE that is VERY similar.  This is what I do differently:
  • I use Dr. Pepper instead of Coke.  Cafe Rio uses Dr. Pepper.  For Reals! I can’t tell you how I know this, but I WILL say it involves a professional female weight lifter, an accidental caffeine overdose, and an intervention by a Cafe Rio manager. (SERIOUSLY!!! I couldn’t make this stuff up!)
  • I DO use the buttermilk ranch dry mix…not just the regular.  It’s more…um, shall we say, “buttery”.  Don’t worry…it doesn’t taste like butter.  It just makes it taste creamier.  (In my opinion).
  • I use my favorite Guacamole recipe from HERE.  Just scroll down to the bottom, AFTER the directions for the wraps.
  • The picture is of a Cafe Rio salad…but I usually prefer to wrap it all up in a nice burrito.  When I go “burrito style,” I like to use the uncooked tortillas from Costco.  They are simple to cook and taste DELICIOUS! 
And that’s it!  They are a lot of work though, so I usually like to save them for a day when Mike will be around.  He’ll be home tomorrow…so he can help with my little hooligans while I spend my time in the kitchen.

In other non food related news…I have a pretty fun announcement!  If you are at all observant, you  may have noticed a little somethin somethin over on my sidebar.  I’m super excited about it, which is why I think it probably deserves its own post.  Check back tomorrow for a little news!
And Happy Cooking!
Sarah signature copy bigger size

No comments:

Post a Comment