Sunday, November 14, 2010

Who knew the boy loved cows?

Several weeks ago I started doing a little preschool for Miles everyday at home. Our first unit was all about the short "a" sound, as in apple. So we learned about Allie the Alligator, Johnny Appleseed, did some fun apple stamping crafts, and read all kinds of fun books. One of my favorite books from that unit was called "How To Make an Apple Pie and See the World," by Marjorie Priceman. The premise of the book is that a little girl heads to the market to buy the ingredients for an apple pie...only the market is closed. So she sets out on an adventure around the world gathering the ingredients she needs. And Miles' favorite part of the story was when she headed to Vermont to milk a cow. (The milk is then churned into butter...in case you were wondering.)

So tonight, I was starting our bed time routine. Story was read, prayer was said, and he asked for a drink of milk before bed. I obliged and brought him his little cup. And then Oh MY OH MY!!! I never expected such a meltdown. Over something as silly as a glass of milk.

After some serious time spent calming the little guy down, he was finally able to articulate why he was so upset.


"No mom...I wanted to milk my own cow!!!"


Oh, he is just the cutest little thing. But there's just one problem.....


I found myself promising I would actually take him to milk a cow. Seriously. I think I am in BIG trouble. BIG BIG trouble. Where in the world am I going to get a cow?

4 comments:

  1. hahahahhhahah! where ARE you going to get a cow?

    ~selina

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a dairy farm in Monroe. I don't know if you have been there it is called Calder's Dairy. Maybe you could call and see if they would let him? OR next summer at the Monroe Co Fair you used to be able to milk goats...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't three year olds fun? I know just what you are talking about! When Abbie makes up her mind about something, you better watch out!

    P.S. A little bird told me, you might be making a little trip around Christmas time? I think it sounds like a great idea!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you know you can take a glass baby food jar and some buttermilk and have Miles shake it until it becomes butter.

    Also you might be able to find a stuffed cow, get a glove, fill it with milk, and have Miles milk that cow, maybe that would work or at least tie him over until you can find one!

    ReplyDelete